Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 16

No meat Monday

My weekly challenge was helped this week by a little online research into vegetarian cooking and a some forward planning. I made mini mixed mushroom quiches, grilled haloumi, and a super green salad that included broccoli, zucchini, baby spinach, peas, cucumber, salad greens, spring onion, pine nuts and a very light lemony vinaigrette. I think the trick with cooking vegetarian mains for meat eaters is a combination of texture and colour. They are never going to be happy with a mushy one pot wonder. It was absolutely delicious. My aim is to have 8 great non-pasta vegetarian mains in my repertoire by the end of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I love grilled haloumi. Love it.

    I did a really good salad as part of dinner tonight and I agree about the texture. This one had cooked pasta -sundried tomatoes - baby spinach - spring onions - pine nuts - so some SUBSTANCE and CHEW which seems to please the boy meat eaters. Of course we had some cooked chicken with it (gah!) but everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad sound great, I need to investigate pasta salads more especially in this heat! Haloumi is great but it's expensive. I guess if I see it as the meat substitute the price is relative.

    ReplyDelete